Thursday, March 30, 2006

Cynthia McKinney: Why She Punched That Pesky Cop

Cynthia McKinney (D-GA) allegedly assaulted an officer of the law earlier today, when he failed to recognize her as she rushed past a metal detector. While members of Congress are not required to go through the Capitol metal detectors, they are supposed to present their credentials. McKinney was in too big a hurry to be bothered complying with one of the people who help ensure her safety. According to witnesses, she hit him in the chest with her cell phone.

Here's McKinney's statement from her website:
(Washington, DC) - To the Members of the Capitol Hill Police:

Earlier today I had an unfortunate confrontation with a Capitol Hill Police Officer. It is traditional protocol that Capitol Hill Police Officers secure 535 Members of Congress, including 100 Senators. It is the expectation of most Members of Congress that Capitol Hill Police officers know who they are. I was urgently trying to get to an important meeting on time to fulfill my obligations to my constituents. Unfortunately, the Police Officer did not recognize me as a Member of Congress and a confrontation ensued. I did not have on my Congressional pin but showed the Police Officer my Congressional ID.

I know that Capitol Hill Police are securing our safety, that of
thousands of others, and I appreciate the work that they do. I deeply regret that the incident occurred. I have demonstrated my support for them in the past and I continue to support them now.
Well, the kids in America have been learning all week that crime pays for selected illegal immigrants. They might as well learn that it's acceptable to assault police, too, but only if you're in a hurry, of course.

The Drudge Report is reporting that the incident is on tape and that the Capitol Police plan to arrest McKinney as soon as Congress adjourns. They would be doing the country a service if they didn't wait.

Also posted at The Jawa Report and Vince Aut Morire.