Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Sacrifice

In the long, long thread about the chart showing monthly casualties from Iraq, Vietnam, and WWII, commenter "B" expresses her displeasure that I have mentioned my Transportation Security Administration service as evidence that I'm willing to make sacrifices for the country. I wrote about it after being challenged by other anti-American lefty trolls to prove that I'm willing to do more than put a magnet on my car.

Serving as a human bomb detector for thousands of dollars less per year than I made in the private sector, in an organization run in para-military style was a privilege and an honor, and I will not apologize for it, or shut up about it, to please any partisan troll.

For reasons unknown, "B" thinks I should be ashamed of this occupation. "B" thinks I should never mention that left I my family for months to train screeners at American airports. Or that my right knee had to be replaced as a consequence of this service.

Somehow, "B" thinks patriotism is best expressed by working for lunatic fringe groups like MoveOn.org, an organization that has never come to grips with the Supreme Court's (and the people's) rejection of Al Gore's attempted 2000 coup d'etat. "B" thinks that using news of casualties to do the work that al Qaeda can't do for itself is patriotic. "B" believes that, well, I'm not sure what "B" believes, or how she sleeps at night.

But our opinions definitely diverge on the nature of sacrifice.

And I think "B"'s comments explain how people who claim to cherish and support the American Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines who go into harm's way can talk themselves into invalidating absentee ballots from those same American Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines.