Monday, October 29, 2007

Glenn Greenwald Responds

I seem to be the target of some testy, and rather rude and unprofessional, emails from someone using Glenn Greenwald's Salon email account:

From: ggreenwald@salon.com
To: dreadpundit@hotmail.com
Subject:
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 13:56:36 -0300

I'm asking this in all sincerity - do you know how to read? The VERY FIRST LINE of my post says:
I received this morning an unsolicited email from Col. Steven A. Boylan, the Public Affairs Officer and personal spokesman for Gen. David G. Petraeus (see UPDATE III below). The subject line of the email -- which I am publishing in full, unedited form here --

The link to "full, unedited form" goes here, where the email, in its unedited ENTIRETY, is published:

http://utdocuments.blogspot.com/2007/10/unsolicited-email-from-col-stephen.html

The parts I published in the original post were mere exceprts, I made explicitly clear:
In terms of whether the U.S. Army under Petraeus and Boylan is, in fact, becoming a political actor, I'll let multiple passages from Boylan's email to me this morning speak for itself:

Can you comprehend this?

Glenn Greenwald
To which I responded:
From: The Dread Pundit Bluto
To: Glenn Greenwald
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2007 2:16 PM
Subject: RE:

Absolutely! I just thought the full, unedited email deserved more prominent mention than the short shrift it got in Salon.

Cheers,

Bluto
Which response does not seem to have given my correspondent satisfaction:
From: ggreenwald@salon.com
To: dreadpundit@hotmail.com
Subject: Re:
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:19:22 -0300

Right - except that isn't what you said. You didn't even mention that I did post the full, unedited email - - because you didn't realize that until you got my email. Because you can't read.
Which cut me to the quick because, not only can I read (I swear it's true!), but I so value the opinion of lefty sock puppeteers. Again, I felt moved to respond:
From: The Dread Pundit Bluto (dreadpundit@hotmail.com)
Sent: Mon 10/29/07 1:31 PM
To: Glenn Greenwald (ggreenwald@salon.com)

But you didn't post it as a part of the Salon article. You stuck it on a server that the vast majority of your readers won't bother to seek out. I gave you full credit for forwarding the email to me, can't you read?

You would be this rude and insulting to a reader, responding from a Salon email account? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you. On the other hand, maybe now you have some perspective on how an American officer, serving in Iraq, might feel about media attacks from a dishonest, self-serving propagandist.

Btw, this email exchange will be posted.

Cheers,

Bluto
And that's where it stands now. If my pen pal writes back again, I'll keep you up to date.