Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Further Correspondence With Glenn Greenwald

I thought it would be nice to clear the air, and give Glenn a chance to deny any role in the creation of the alleged Boylan email:
From: The Dread Pundit Bluto
To: Glenn Greenwald
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 12:52 PM

Glenn,

All fun and kidding aside (and this has been fun, at least for me), do you, for the record, categorically deny creating, causing to be created, or encouraging the creation of the alleged Boylan email?

If you do deny it, do you have any knowledge or evidence that would point to its creation by a third party, or any hitherto undisclosed direct, non-conjectural evidence that Colonel Boylan himself created the email?

Et maintenant, au revoir,

Al Brown
The Dread Pundit Bluto
The Jawa Report
Stop the ACLU
Glen's response was, while definitely not unsolicited, perhaps a tad bizarre:
From: ggreenwald@salon.com
To: dreadpundit@hotmail.com
Subject: Re:
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 13:56:06 -0300

I had nothing to do with writing that email, including writing, sending it, encouraging its creation or anyone else. And I have no knowledge of anyone who did, if Col. Boylan didn't.

If you don't believe me, I have a good idea - either you, or any of your genius comrades, can bet me $5,000 (or any other higher amount) that the email is on my laptop, in orginal form, sent with all of the header information that I published.

It's easy to make accusations, or cast innuendo (or cheerlead for wars) when there are no consequences to the person.
Maybe I shouldn't have used French; Glenn may be a little touchy on the subject:
From: The Dread Pundit Bluto
To: Glenn Greenwald
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 1:23 PM
Subject: RE:

I regret that you took my inquiry as an accusation, but it seemed to me that, on this point at least, it was best to have an unequivocal denial. I haven't seen a shred of evidence or conjecture indicating that the email made a pitstop in Brazil, and don't really understand the purpose of your offered bet.

One thing should be made clear to you. I will not "cheerlead" a war for its own sake, but I will unashamedly "cheerlead" for those who put themselves in harm's way. I will also condemn those who willfully endanger our military members through leaking and publishing classified materials (I'm thinking specifically of the NYT, here, and their jihadi-friendly body armor diagrams).

If that upsets you, or seems gauche, too bad, deal with it.

Al Brown
The Dread Pundit Bluto
The Jawa Report
Stop the ACLU
And that elicited:
From: Glenn Greenwald (ggreenwald@salon.com)
Sent: Tue 10/30/07 12:28 PM
To: The Dread Pundit Bluto (dreadpundit@hotmail.com)
All right. Fair enough. You didn't accuse me, though either you or someone at one of those blogs with which you're affiliated linked to a blogger yesterday who did.

You don't have a monopoly on supporting the troops. I know a lot of people who vigorously oppose the war in Iraq and not a single one of them direct any of their anger about the war or opposition to it at the soliders, including me. Even soliders who fight in unjust wars are typically honorable and brave.
I'll take Glen at his word that he doesn't know anyone like these assholes.

Previous email exchange with Glenn.