Tuesday, February 22, 2005

The UN's Time Has Come and Gone

Writing today in the WSJ Opinion Journal UN Secretary General Kofi Annan opines:
In the past year I have read many attacks on the United Nations--quite a few, but by no means all, in the pages of this newspaper.

That pains me, because I have served the U.N. all my life. I have done, and am still doing, everything I can to correct its imperfections, and to improve and strengthen it. And I believe profoundly in the importance of that task, because a strong U.N. is of vital importance to humanity.
It should pain him. The UN has become nothing more than a nest of anti-American vipers who obstruct efforts to make the world a more peaceful and just place, but are glad to skim a little pishkesh or pass a blatantly anti-Semitic resolution or two. When the delegates can be roused to pass resolutions against injustice they expect the US to do all the heavy lifting; then moan about the results. A stronger UN would only mean a more dangerous world.